Are you traveling to Cologne? And need a place to stay which is easily located, doesn’t break the bank and it good value for money? Check out my review for Cologne Downtown Hostel!
I had to go to Cologne and I decided to travel by train. Read more about it solo female traveling to Cologne Station. But I also needed a place to stay for the night. Of course, I am on a budget and do not want to spend 100€ on a place which I’ll only see when I’m too tired to look around. So where to stay in Cologne?
I first checked out Cologne’s lay-out on google.maps and after this, I checked out hostelworld.com. It’s a website with hostels around the world and I have used it many times. It’s perfect for when you’re traveling solo. You get to meet cool people and stay in some place cheap.
When I searched for my dates in Cologne, a few hostels popped right up on the map. I decided to stay at Downtown Cologne Hostel. Mainly because of its price per night. And the location. And it didn’t seem to be like a party hostel. And it had a good rating: 8,8 is pretty decent for a hostel.
Disclaimer: I was not paid, endorsed or sponored in any way to write this post. All opinions are my own and I paid full price for my stay at Cologne Downtown Hostel. I just liked the hostel a lot, so I thought to write a review for Cologne Downtown Hostel.
Location review for Cologne Downtown Hostel
I love that British show where Phil and Kirsty hunt for houses. Their main slogan is: Location, Location, Location!! As that is true with house hunting, it’s also true for hostel hunting.
The location of the hostel is its key feature. Not too close to the center to be too noisy and overcrowded. Close enough so you can easily explore the surroundings. It has to be safe too. And easy to find as you’re travelling without Wi-Fi.
Cologne Downtown Hostel has it all.
Location in the city center: Check
Location in a safe environment: Check
Location which is easy to navigate to: Check.
Map of the center of Cologne with the main places
Cologne Downtown Hostel is situated at the end of the shopping street Hohe Street. It’s located at the 6th floor of a flat. If you follow the directions provided, you cannot miss it. The signs downstairs and at the elevator are really helpful. There’s public transport on its doorstep but the main station is just a 5-10 minute walk away.
Location, location, location! The location review for Cologne Downtown Hostel: I give the hostel a 5/5 rating.
Prices review for Cologne Downtown Hostel
Let’s be honest. Of course it’s super nice to meet all these cool traveling peeps from all over the world. No doubt about it. But one of the main reasons for sharing your room with complete strangers is the price of a bed. The new connections just make up for it.
Cologne Downtown Hostel has 5 different types of rooms.
- Double room
- 2 bed room
- 4 bed room
- 6 bed room
- 8 bed room
As the number of people in your room go up, the prices go down. The prices per night vary (at this moment) between €22 and €36 euro per room per night.
I stayed in a 4 bed mixed shared room with ensuite bathroom. I paid € 25 for 1 night (Sunday to Monday). I’ve stayed in cheaper hostels, but not in such big cities. I’ve also stayed in more expensive hostels with less quality for money.
My prices review for Cologne Downtown Hostel: I give the hostel a 4/5 rating for value for money.
Facilities review for Cologne Downtown Hostel
A bed is nice. Some clean showers are nice too and I value clean toilets too. What more do you want in a hostel? With the high number of hostels listed for Cologne, all extra facilities are an added bonus. Here’s a list of the things I liked about Cologne Downtown Hostel.
- Wi-Fi: I love it. I need it. I can’t live without it. Right upon check in, I received the Wi-Fi code with covered 3 Wi-Fi-signals. I needed to log on every time I didn’t use it for a while, but it was good throughout the hostel. At reception, the kitchen and the rooms. 5/5 rating for Wi-Fi
- Common area: The pro about staying in a hostel is that you can meet cool people during your stay. In order to do so, common areas are necessary. Cologne Downtown Hostel has 2 hang-out spots. You can chill and lounge at the reception and in the kitchen while making diner for your new friends. All common areas looked clean, fresh, new and the kitchen was spotless. 1 Minor set back: there is a piano at the reception, but during my stay we were not allowed to play it. We had a musician in our room so I was curious what he’d play. 4/5 rating for common area.
- Kitchen: the kitchen was huge. It was clean. Spotless. It felt like it wasn’t used at all. It was well organized and enough utensils were available. The kitchen and fridge have a “serve yourself area” where you can find food which can be used for everyone. As I had some left-overs from my breakfast, I left it there for others to take. 5/5 rating for the kitchen area.
- Toilets: Toilets are very important for me, as I have Crohn’s disease and never know when I need to go. Read more about my travels with Crohn’s disease here. Besides the ensuite bathroom with toilet, there were toilets for men and women. There were 3 and they were located right next to the kitchen. Toilets were clean and worked fine. You could open a window as there was no ventilation. There was no spare toilet paper though and the lights didn’t work. 4/5 rating for common toilets.
- Laundry room: I have never used a laundry room in a hostel before (I just took my dirty laundry to the dry cleaners) but this room looked spotless. As did the rest of Cologne Downtown Hostel. Washer and dryer available, all seemed to work properly. I’d leave my laundry there to wash. 5/5 rating for laundry room.
My facilities review for Cologne Downtown Hostel: I give the hostel a 5/5 rating for overall facilities.
Review for Cologne Downtown Hostel 4-bed mixed bedroom
I choose the 4-bed room to stay in. There were 2 bunk beds located in the room. Each bed was already made and towels were provided. The room was locked with an electric key card which worked flawlessly during my stay. It felt safe.
Each bed had a locker to store your stuff in. The lockers were small but high, so I had no problem with stashing my stuff in there. You can bring your own padlock or burrow one from reception for €10 deposit.
The 4-bed room has an ensuite bathroom with a toilet, sink and a shower. It must have been the best shower I’ve ever taken in a hostel. Even though I was late to get up in the morning, there was still enough hot water and water pressure. Everything was clean and fresh.
The bedroom had good lighting, thermostat and shutters, which took some effort to figure out how to close them, but once shut, the room was dark and silent.
The room was big enough for the 2 bunk beds and had a little seating area and still room to stash the stuff of 4 people. Only things missing was a personal bed light and a little shelf to put your glasses, jewelry and other nick knacks on. But I have only come across such a thing once, but miss it ever since.
Room review for Cologne Downtown Hostel: I give the room a 5/5 rating.
Staff review for Cologne Downtown Hostel
And my final item to review for Cologne Downtown Hostel: the staff. I was greeted at check-in in a welcoming way. The staff was interested how my trip was. They asked if I could find everything and explained to me all the details about the room. They spoke good English and German and check-in was swift and easy.
During my stay, each time I entered the reception, I was greeted. In the morning, the staff enquired if everything was still ok and I found this excellent. It gives you room to tell them about any problems you might have and they still have room to fix things.
Check out was also quick and simple. No hassle, just friendly smiles and heartfelt goodbyes. As everything was fine during my stay, I did not test the staff as there was no need for it. The staff showed me some places on the map and helped me sort out my public transportation questions. They did not force any tours or restaurants on me.
Rating for the staff at Cologne Downtown Hostel: 4/5 rating.
Overall rating for Cologne Downtown Hostel
My overall rating for the review for Cologne Downtown Hostel is 23/25 points. That’s 92% satisfaction rating.
I can honestly say, I have never stayed in such a clean, fresh and well organized hostel before. If you’re looking for a place to stay in Cologne, consider staying at Cologne Downtown Hostel. Its location is excellent, the price is good value for money. The hostel also has great facilities and clean rooms. To top it off the staff is very professional and helpful.
Have you stayed at Cologne Downtown hostel? Tell me what did you think of your stay there? Or have you stayed somewhere else in Cologne, which you also want to recommend? Let me know.